Paul Merino

After two years going around and trying to get a life as photographer, Paul Merino took me from my job as waiter in a big hotel in north New Jersey.

I also used to be a freelance photographer for news papers in New York and New Jersey but the assignments were paid so poor I had to have part time jobs here and there.

Before meeting Paul, I have no digital camera yet and I kept stick in my old 35m Nikon SLR. I was an old fashion artist. I even painted some of my pictures after printed and tricked a lot with the results of natural light.

By that time, Paul Merino had completed near 20 years working with all kind of cameras and his house was a big mess with lenses here, lights there, Hasselblads, Rolleicords. Finally he introduced me his new digital camera, a Nikon D70.

He is an Electrical Engineer who spent 20 years in Medical Imaging field specializing in digital imaging and information systems. And he also teaches photography in Teaneck.

So, it was big deal trying to convince this guy. But he valued my work and pushed me on commercial photography.

It was long process learning about all the technical changes between Roll Films and the size of microchips on the back of a digital camera body.

After a while we became not just partners but friends and family.

Of course, now we are digital photographers, though he carried up some of his old film cameras around and shoot them once in a while. Even more, I heritage his Hasselblad 500C with a powerful lens made on Sweden.

Paul is a classical photographer. Knowing the exact composition and the perfect light, no matter what conditions we have or if we are under pressure.

We get in a lot of arguing in doing a picture, though. “Oh, see two photographers doing a picture”, he used to say while we were in the middle of shootings.

We have been working together for a while, eating his plates (he is a chef too!), drinking wine and having fun sharing our passion: Photography.

His wife, Rose, says he is more artistically now as I am getting more technical.

We made the fusion. It works and two years ago we made QiProjects Photography, helped by my wife, Samantha.

He is a busy guy. He has two grand daughters and is surrounded by four girls!!

Besides all, He is a real estate person. You have to see him in action on that field. Check his web site Paul Merino Real Estate.

Yes, Paul Merino is my master and mentor in photography, but most important, he is my best friend.

Nestor Cristancho

No comments: